Many thanks to all free clear for sponsoring today’s fashion tips and encouraging me to try all free clear! All opinions and content are, as usual, my very own.
This has been beauty month so far at Sondra Lyn at Home! It’s been fun – and different – for me to divulge some of my best beauty secrets! Thank you for allowing me to deviate a bit from my usual decor and homemaking themes.
In keeping with the emphasis on beauty, today’s post is focused on fashion plus the advantages to using all free clear fragrance free detergent. Once upon a time, I was much more of a clothes-horse than I am now, but I did get some new duds for Easter! I loved this outfit because of its colors… it reminds me of this photo I captured of a recent sunset:
The blue crepe knit top has some beautiful pleats around the V-neckline and has cap sleeves. The maxi-skirt is a trendy art-deco/flamestitch pattern with some of my favorite colors. And the wrap is a nice neutral that picks up a color in the skirt (and is also a versatile color that will work with lots of other things in my wardrobe!).
So lets discuss my best fashion tips, shall we?
My 5 Best Fashion Tips – brought to you by all free clear.
- Only buy clothes that you feel pretty in and that flatter you. Even if something you try on is the latest trend, if it doesn’t look good on you or you’re not comfortable in it, you will hate it… and more than likely sell it in a yard sale within a year!
- Don’t abandon skirts. For most of my years in the interior design industry, I wore pants to work. Many women, as they age, just feel more comfortable in slacks than skirts. But I think it’s important not to abandon skirts and dresses altogether. They are feminine and soft, and often comfortable as well!
- Body type will dictate style. If you’re like me, and have put on a few pounds through the years, your style of clothing will change. You can still BE stylish, without wearing the mini-skirt and 5-inch heels! You may find that your hemlines aren’t as short, and your tops aren’t as fitted as in years past. Whatever your taste, fashion for the over-30, 40, or 50 set is better than ever!
- Use accessories strategically. Accessories can make or break an outfit. I am a ‘bag lady’ myself… I love purses! Whatever your ‘fetish’ – be it shoes, bags or jewelry – choose your accessories wisely! And with jewelry, I think the adage ‘put all your jewelry on and then remove one piece’ is great advice. Do you really need the earrings, necklace AND the bracelet? ‘Less is more’ is true with fashion at any age. You want to look chic, not overdone.
- Acquire some high-quality basics and take good care of them. Some basic fashion pieces would be: a nice pair of black pants, a couple of basic shells or tanks in wrinkle-resistant ‘travel-type’ knit, a white button-down shirt (no-iron), a flattering pair of dark denim jeans, a nice jacket or blazer, and a pretty, basic dress – it doesn’t have to be black, but it can be. To these you can mix any other item – even something trendy – for a great look. As far as fabric care goes, I love wash and wear clothing that looks great right out of the dryer (who has time to iron?). Oh, and I always wash my clothes in cool water and tumble dry on low, removing while still damp and hanging to complete the drying. I have found that over-washing and especially over-drying will wear my clothes out faster than anything!
One way to take proper care of your fashions is to wash them in the best detergent you can! I love all free clear because I don’t have to worry about my sensitive skin (it’s the #1 recommended detergent brand by Dermatologists, Allergists, and Pediatricians for sensitive skin) or a detergent fragrance conflicting with MY fragrance! I love the all free clear fabric softener for the same reasons!
Another thing I love about all free clear is that it is one detergent for the whole family. If your children or grandchildren have sensitive skin, this is perfect for their laundry, as well as yours! That one fact simplifies my life in that I don’t have to keep multiple detergent formulas on hand for different needs – all free clear does it all. It leaves me free to be the mom and grandma that I want to be! all free clear is so excited to hear your opinion — please take this one question survey to let them know what you think (it only takes a few seconds)!
What are your favorite fashion tips? And what works for you when caring for your family’s clothing?