No-Roux Sausage and Chicken Gumbo
Now, I realize there are some true Cajun connoisseurs out there, my son-in-law, for instance. And I know there are some gumbo aficionados who would swear that no soup without a roux can be called gumbo (said with my bestest southern-cajun accent). But I would challenge them to try this one and still hold that opinion… it’s that good!
I really wanted to make a dark, rich gumbo, and I thought making a roux was the only way to do it. So I proceeded to try to make the roux, using gluten free flour. A roux is very tricky – you have to cook it just right to avoid burning or scorching it. You guessed it. I scorched it the first time I tried it. And it didn’t seem to work very well using the gluten free flour.
So I began to wonder if it could be done without roux at all and I decided to try it! One thing I did add to it that added lots of flavor and some dark color was a teaspoon of beef broth and seasoning base. And cooking in a slow-cooker also helped the gumbo to thicken and simmer to a gorgeous, rich, yummy stew! It met the approval of my Louisiana-born son-in-love… and the rest of the family too. Served over rice, it was the perfect ending to a perfect day!
- 1 bag frozen sliced okra
- 2 tblsp. oil
- 1 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can rotel
- 1 carton chicken broth
- 3 single stalks celery, chopped
- 1 med. onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- beef boullion or broth base
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp thyme leaves
- cajun seasoning to taste
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 10-12 ounces peeled, de-veined and cooked shrimp, fresh or frozen
- In skillet, saute sausage until cooked. Set aside.
- Saute onion, celery and bell pepper in 1 tblsp. oil until tender
- Saute okra in 1 tblsp. oil for about 5 minutes on medium heat, stirring constantly. This will help prevent sliminess in the gumbo.
- Combine okra, tomatoes, vegetables, spices, rotel and 1 carton broth in slow-cooker (optional - cook on low for 2-4 hours; this will let the flavors combine and the okra will thicken the mixture slightly)
- Add meats to slow cooker, except shrimp, and cook for 6-8 hours on low. (I add the chicken breasts, whole, into the pot and shred near the end of cooking.)
- Add shrimp about 10 minutes before serving. Remove bay leaves prior to serving.
- Serve over rice. Enjoy!
I hope you’ll try my roux-less gumbo! Let me know what you think!
Like it? PIN IT!
Mmmm cher, Ça c’est bon! Laissez les bons temps rouler!!