Good Morning, Y’all!
It has been a crazy 20 months! Most of you know that, after leaving my interior design job, I opted to stay at home and keep our precious grandson during the weekdays. The same month he was born I embarked upon this wonderful blogging adventure.
Well, this sweet boy (and this blog!) is almost 2 years old. The lessons I’ve learned over the past months have been true eye-openers. I’ve had to take an honest look at where I am in this stage of life, as well as where I want to be. These are some things I know for sure:
- Being a grandparent is, indeed, GRAND. Everything you’ve ever heard about it is absolutely true. The love I have for that one little person is so intense it’s almost unbelievable. I don’t have a desire to spoil him – not in the ‘let him have anything he wants’ sense, but I have this powerful urge to love him and protect him!
- Grandparenting is different from parenting. I know this is a somewhat obvious observation, but true nonetheless. While he has been in our care, it has been my nature to want to play with him. My obligation to household activities has taken a back seat to entertaining and caring for him. Unlike when I was a mom, all other activities have been relegated to the back burner!
- My career and creative goals have not diminished. The aspirations that I had when I first began blogging are still alive! The available time to accomplish them, however, has diminished substantially.
- I’m not as young as I used to be. Well, another obvious observation… also true. The physical rigors of child care have left me more tired than when I was younger. You’ve heard it said that there’s a reason that God gives children to young people? I am proof of that!
- I am committed to loving and helping my family, including grandchildren. Another grandbaby is coming this summer! We are so thrilled and looking forward to the arrival of a second grandchild!
- I am equally committed to the growth and usefulness of this blog. Those things that I find so enjoyable and are also beneficial for you are activities that I want to continue! Let me say this again: My plans and goals are to step up the ideas and projects and bring more to you from Sondra Lyn at Home!
Shortly, our sweet boy’s parents will begin supplementing the grand-parental child care with a church child care program. Of course, I have mixed feelings about this, but also feel that it is time. He loves social interaction, has never met a stranger, and is such a well adjusted little boy. It’s obvious when you observe him that he is happy and knows he is loved. He shows no insecurities and doesn’t suffer from separation anxiety. We will still care for him a couple of days a week (I don’t think I could quit cold-turkey!), but I will have a little more creative time!
In fact, there are a couple of really exciting events in the works! One I can tell you about now, and one that I don’t have liberty to reveal just yet, but it’s going to be great!
Coming in June:
Welcome Home Summer Tour with Balsam Hill
This tour will feature Balsam Hill products in the homes of over 20 design and DIY bloggers. Balsam Hill is very well known for their exquisite holiday decor, but they have a great selection of home decor items for any time of year. This is BIG, y’all… and I can’t wait!
My other piece of blog news is big too, but right now it’s very ‘hush-hush’… so you’ll have to stay tuned to find out what it is!!
I wish you a fabulous day!