It’s hard to beat fresh strawberries in the summertime. The only thing better just might be this fresh strawberry trifle recipe!
I can’t imagine a better way to enjoy fresh strawberries than this easy strawberry trifle recipe. It is a wonderful way to concoct a cool, flavorful dessert that is just perfect for the warm weather of summer. Of course, if you can get your hands on good berries, it’s delicious any time of year. In fact, traditional English trifles are popular desserts for the Christmas holidays.
This Strawberry Trifle recipe can be made gluten-free as well, just by substituting a gluten-free cake for the cake in the recipe. I always make ours gluten-free, using a yellow cake mix, and it tastes great! But you can use angel food, pound cake, scratch cake, or whatever is handy. You can also cut down on the sugar by using a sugar-free pudding and gelatin mix.
A bit of trifle history:
According to Wikipedia…
Trifle in English cuisine is a dessert made with fruit, a thin layer of sponge fingers soaked in sherry or another fortified wine, and custard. It can be topped with whipped cream. The fruit and sponge layers may be suspended in fruit-flavoured jelly, and these ingredients are usually arranged to produce three or four layers. The contents of a trifle are highly variable; many varieties exist, some forgoing fruit entirely and instead using other ingredients such as chocolate, coffee or vanilla.
The word trifle comes from the Middle English word trufle, which in turn derives from the French word trufe which is translated as something whimsical or of little importance. But the French had nothing to do with the development of this dessert – it is strictly English!
A trifle bowl is a must when making any trifle! It is such an inexpensive way to make your trifle truly a show-stopper. I like this simple one at Amazon. (I include affiliate links for your convenience. Check out my full policies HERE.)
Strawberry Trifle Recipe
I am so happy to share my trifle recipe with you today!!
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 large box instant vanilla pudding
- 1 small box strawberry gelatin
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cake mix (prepared per pkg instructions)
- 1 container whipped topping
- Slice strawberries, reserving 3 or 4 for garnish. Sprinkle sugar over them and stir. Set aside.
- Add gelatin to boiled water, stirring constantly to dissolve. Add cold water and set in fridge to cool slightly.
- Prepare Pudding according to package directions, using 2 cups milk and sour cream.
- Begin layering by breaking pieces of cake and placing in bottom of glass trifle bowl.
- Spoon a layer of berries over cake and drizzle ½ cup of gelatin mixture over all.
- Next, spread a layer of pudding on top of berries.
- Repeat the layering order two more times.
- Top with whipped topping. Garnish with strawberries just before serving.
- Enjoy the compliments!
Go ahead and PIN IT so you’ll have the recipe anytime you want to make it…
Thanks for joining me today!